Welcome! I'm MovieKnight

Movies are my passion. Movies are my life. If you can't talk about movies, I can't talk to you.
I don't have a "5 Stars" or "two thumbs up" rating system of my own. I rarely see a rating I agree with, and I'm not about to make the same mistake myself.
I do my best to make this blog interesting, useful, and informative.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Watchmen (March 6, 2009) R

Jackie Earle Haley (All the King's Men, Shutter Island 2010)
Carla Gugino (Sin City, Elektra Luxx 2010)
Malin Akerman (27 Dresses, The Bang Band Club 2010)
Billy Crudup (Public Enemies, Eat, Pray Love 2010)
Matthew Goode (The Lookout, Leap Year 2010)
Jeffrey Dean Morgan ("Supernatural", Red Dawn 2010)
Patrick Wilson (The Phantom of the Opera 2004, The A-Team 2010)

There is so much to say about one of the best movies of 2009--The Watchmen.
And it's rare for a comic-book-based movie to ADD to the original comic instead of taking away from it (coughWolverinecough!).
Hailing from a semi-black-horse cast of brilliant actors, I found every actor seemed to disappear into the roles they played.
The comic book-based characters Rorschach, The Comedian, Dr. Manhattan, Silk Spectre I & II, and Night Owl all quickly became some of my favorite heroes, immediately taking place in my heart next to Wolverine, Xavier, Batman and Superman.

The movie itself does not require that someone has read the internationally acclaimed comic book of the same name. I read it after I saw the movie, and I enjoyed the movie even more the second time after having read the greatest graphic novel of all time.

Back to the film.
It was dark and mystical, realistic and supernatural, epic and non-insisting.
The acting was perfect and not overly dramatic.
The cinematography was fitting and stylish.
The story quite loyal to the comic.
It's not a movie made to be loved by all. It caters to the same crowd the graphic novel appealed to.

Factoid: Although The Watchmen is about "superheroes", there's only one character in the whole film with any actual super-powers.

No comments:

Post a Comment