Welcome! I'm MovieKnight

Movies are my passion. Movies are my life. If you can't talk about movies, I can't talk to you.
I don't have a "5 Stars" or "two thumbs up" rating system of my own. I rarely see a rating I agree with, and I'm not about to make the same mistake myself.
I do my best to make this blog interesting, useful, and informative.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Star Trek (May 8, 2009) PG-13

Starring:
Chris Pine (Smokin' Aces 2006, Carriers 2009, Untitled Star Trek Sequel 2011)
Zachary Quinto ("Heroes" 2006-2010, Untitled Star Trek Sequel 2011)
Eric Bana (Troy 2004, Armored 2011)
Bruce Greenwood (National Treasure: Book of Secrets 2007, Meek's Cutoff 2010)
Karl Urban (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 2002, Untitled Star Trek Sequel 2011)
Zoe Saldana (Guess Who 2005, Untitled Star Trek Sequel 2011)
Simon Pegg (Hot Fuzz 2007, Untitled Star Trek Sequel 2011)
John Cho (Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle 2004, Untitled Star Trek Sequel 2011)
Anton Yelchin (Alpha Dog 2006, Untitled Star Trek Sequel 2011)
Ben Cross (War, Inc. 2008, The Guardian 2010)
Winona Ryder (The Crucible 1996, Alpha Numeric 2010)
Chris Hemsworth ("Home and Away" 2004-2007, Thor 2011)
Jennifer Morrison ("House M.D." 2004-2010, Warrior 2010)
Rachel Nichols (Charlie Wilson's War 2007, The Loop 2010)
Clifton Collins Jr. (Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day 2009, The Experiment 2010)
Leonard Nimoy ("Star Trek" 1966-1969, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan 1982)

I am a Trekky, and I LOVED this movie. It is one of the best movies of 2009. It's up there with District 9, The Watchmen, (500) Days of Summer, and Taken.

And I say that the opening scene of Star Trek is the best, most exciting movie opening of all time. Dramatic, intense, action-packed, heart-breaking, explosive, and fast-paced.

The rest of the film keeps up with the opening. The characters are re-introduced smoothly and appropriately... or, rather, inappropriately. Kirk wrecks his family sports car, Spock beats up a fellow student, Uhura is at a bar, and Bones tells Kirk he might puke on him. Sorta makes Scotty's intro kinda dull, him simply being banned to a "Hoth"-like ice planet next to Vulcan.

Then there's the bad guy, Nero, who introduces himself by blowing up Federation exploration vessels. I didn't know Eric Bana could be so bad. He was great at being bad. I loved it.

The whole movie was completely entertaining, exciting, original (for a quasi-remake), and well-done.

The question now is:
Is this a remake?

Factoid: Part of the decision on creating the plot for Star Trek (2009) was to free the writers and creators from having to fit new plots into the former Star Trek movies. This new Star Trek movie actually fits into the original movies perfectly, while also allowing the writers to do, well, whatever they want.
Who knows what the sequel will be about?!?!
Also, Chris Pine's version of Captain James Kirk was not a William Shatner impersonation. This new Kirk is almost entirely Chris Pine and J.J. Abrams' (director) creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment