Welcome! I'm MovieKnight

Movies are my passion. Movies are my life. If you can't talk about movies, I can't talk to you.
I don't have a "5 Stars" or "two thumbs up" rating system of my own. I rarely see a rating I agree with, and I'm not about to make the same mistake myself.
I do my best to make this blog interesting, useful, and informative.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Public Enemies (July 1, 2009) R

Starring:
Johnny Depp (Secret Window 2004, The Rum Diary 2010)
Christian Bale (Batman Begins 2005, The Fighter 2010)
Marion Cotillard (A Good Year 2006, Inception 2010)
Stephen Graham (Snatch 2000, Season of the Witch 2010)
The cast goes on...

A must-see for anyone who loves gangster films.

Johnny Depp IS John Dillinger, the machine-gun wielding, bank-robbing, bar-raising gangster from the 30's.
The trailers inspire high expectations, and those expectations were met and exceeded.

Covering the life of John Dillinger starting when he first broke out of prison, I don't want to say much because not knowing anything about Dillinger's real life helped me enjoy the film that much more.

Probably the only disappointment in the film was Christian Bale's depiction of Melvin Purvis. It's possible that maybe Purvis was kind of a bla guy in real life, but Bale's portrayal of him seemed bland, uninteresting, and half-hearted.
I hate to talk smack on one of my favorite people, but Bale's performances this year have all been disappointing. Dark Knight, Terminator: Salvation, and now Public Enemies. Perhaps Bale should stick with artistic Independent films, rather than high-budget entertainment-geared films.
Even a boring character can be portrayed in an interesting way.

But Bale aside, the film was excellent and I totally loved it!

Factoid: Johnny Depp grew up fascinated with John Dillinger, having grown up 160 miles from where Dillinger grew up, and having a father and grandfather who both had a serious criminal history.

No comments:

Post a Comment