Welcome! I'm MovieKnight

Movies are my passion. Movies are my life. If you can't talk about movies, I can't talk to you.
I don't have a "5 Stars" or "two thumbs up" rating system of my own. I rarely see a rating I agree with, and I'm not about to make the same mistake myself.
I do my best to make this blog interesting, useful, and informative.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

District 9 (August 14, 2009) R

Starring:
Sharlto Copley (The A-Team 2010)
David James (Bridge of Names 2010)

A native of South Africa, Sharlto Copley had virtually no recognized acting experience before his amazing performance in District 9. In my opinion, his performance was comparable to Heath Ledger's Joker. It was one of the greatest performances I've ever seen.
First time's a charm?

Intense, fast-paced, and dismally realistic, District 9 was better than I'd ever expected. I didn't know, going into the theater the first time seeing it, that it would be the best movie of 2009.

The movie starts out documentary-style, with interviewees making vague references to Wilkus Van De Merwe's (Sharlto Copley) decisions and character. It then gives you an inside look into how the government and bureaus of South Africa are handling the 800,000 aliens who came to earth from off of the city-sized ship hovering above Johannesberg. Those 800,000 have multiplied to over 2 million, and they need to be relocated from one alien slum to another.

Van De Morwe works for MNU (Multi-National United) who are over all things alien, and is head of the department in charge of relocating the aliens. As he collects eviction notive "signatures" from the aliens, he gets pulled into a world he only thought he understood.

Best movie of 2009

Factoid: The team that wrote, produced, and directed District 9 (including Peter Jackson) were slated to do the Halo movie, said to be coming out in 2012. When the Halo movie project was delayed, and most of those involved were released from the project, many still wanted to do a realistic alien genre movie. District 9 was born. And a sequel is being whispered about...

No comments:

Post a Comment