Welcome! I'm MovieKnight

Movies are my passion. Movies are my life. If you can't talk about movies, I can't talk to you.
I don't have a "5 Stars" or "two thumbs up" rating system of my own. I rarely see a rating I agree with, and I'm not about to make the same mistake myself.
I do my best to make this blog interesting, useful, and informative.

Friday, December 18, 2009

Avatar (December 18, 2009) PG-13

Monday the 21st of December I saw this for my second time, except this time on IMAX 3-D. It was awesome!

Starring:
Sam Worthington (Terminator: Salvation 2009, Clash of the Titans 2010)
Zoe Saldana (Star Trek 2009, Takers 2010, Untitled Star Trek Sequel 2011)
Sigourney Weaver (Aliens 1992, Galaxy Quest 1999, Night Train 2010)
Stephen Lang (Gettysburg 1993, White Irish Drinkers 2010)
Michelle Rodriguez (Fast and Furious 2009, Battle: Los Angeles 2011)
Giovanni Ribisi (Boiler Room 2000, The Rum Diary 2010)

After seeing commercials for this movie on TV every 10 minutes for the last month I thought I'd pretty much seen everything that was going to be in Avatar. I was wrong.

It wasn't the commercials that give away the plot and storyline of Avatar, it's numerous other movies I've seen before that give it away...:

Ferngully: The Last Rainforest
Pocahontas
Dances With Wolves
A New World

Surrogates
Star Wars: Episode I
The Matrix
The Matrix Revolutions
Battle for Tera (I actually haven't seen this one yet)

HOWEVER!!! Despite the lack of originality of the plot and story, there were lots of elements of Avatar that make this a movie that should definately be seen in theaters (like, soon). It was truly a feast for the eyes--I can't wait for it to hit Blue Ray. The planet Pandorum depicted in the film was beautiful beyond words (and almost as dangerous).
I fell in love with the native Na'vi people like Sam Worthington's character did. They were beautiful, intelligent, and pure.

I enjoyed the film immensely, and think it's something most people (who can sit through a 2 hour and 45 minute movie) would enjoy seeing very much in theaters.
It was intense, suspenseful, powerful, action-packed, beautiful, entertaining, and ENORMOUS. James Cameron (director of Titanic, Terminator, and Aliens) lives up to his rep with this movie.

Factoid: There has been a lot of internet chatter about whether Avatar copied Battle for Terra (since the plots are so similar) or if it's vica versa. However, Avatar was in production long before Battle for Terra was. And I just read a blog that lists "10 Films Avatar Unfortunately Resembles" and none of them are in my list. Also, the 10 listed don't (unfortunately) resemble Avatar at all... sorry fellow blogger.

Also, you may have heard on the news or radio, the look of Neytiri (the lead female alien character) as well as the other Na'vi was designed around James Cameron asking the question of his alien creation, "Would I want to do her?" The original alien models had fins and gills, and looked much more alien and strange, but James Cameron wanted more human-looking aliens, and the "Na'vi" were born.

No comments:

Post a Comment