Welcome! I'm MovieKnight

Movies are my passion. Movies are my life. If you can't talk about movies, I can't talk to you.
I don't have a "5 Stars" or "two thumbs up" rating system of my own. I rarely see a rating I agree with, and I'm not about to make the same mistake myself.
I do my best to make this blog interesting, useful, and informative.

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day (October 20, 2009) R

Starring:
Sean Patrick Flannery (Boondock Saints, Sinners and Saints 2010)
Norman Reedus (Boondock Saints, Night of the Templar 2010)
Billy Connolly (Boondock Saints, Gulliver's Travels 2010)
Clifton Collins Jr. (Star Trek 2009, Brothers, The Experiment 2010)
Julie Benz (Rambo, Answers to Nothing 2010)
David Della Rocco (Boondock Saints, nothing new on the horizon)
Bob Marley (Boondock Saints, nothing new on the horizon)
Brian Mahoney (Boondock Saints, nothing new on the horizon)
David Ferry (Boondock Saints, nothing new on the horizon)

All hail All Saints Day!

I was worried and excited when Troy Duffy posted a video, shot from the backyard of his house, announcing that he was going to make a sequel to the holy and sacred 1999 cult classic Boondock Saints. I was worried it would do what Pirates II did to Pirates, and excited to see the MacManus brothers back in black shooting evil men.

My worries were stoked during the first 20 minutes of the film, and I feared my favorite shoot-em-up film's sequel had gone the way of so many other cheesy sequels.

But the film's uneasy start proved misleading, as the film's plot and characters began firing.

There's a dance--very careful steps that a sequel has to take in order to be taken seriously. It has to be similar to the original in the right ways, and different/seperate from the original in the right ways. This film put two irons to the back of the dance's noodle, said a prayer, and showed what a good sequel should be.
This sequel is to the original what The Godfather: Part II was to The Godfather. Yes I just said that.

If you liked Duffy's style of showing the saints' murderous aftermath, then taking you back and showing how it happened, then you'll love All Saints Day.
If you wanted some backstory on the Il Duce (the Saints' father) then you'll love All Saints Day.
If you wanted to see Rocko at least once more then you'll love All Saints Day.
And if you wanted to see Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus reprise as your favorite Irish twins killing lots and lots of people who deserve to be killed then you'll love All Saints Day.

The whole cast, every last one, is featured in All Saints Day. Including detectives Dolly, Duffy, and Greenly.

The film featured more comedy than the original, and myself, my brother Tim, and the rest of the audience loved it. The film was not only funny--it took itself seriously.

Also, the film makes ambiguous hints to yet another sequel.............. not in 10 MORE years I hope.

All Hail All Saints Day!!!

Factoid: Troy Duffy, director and writer of Boondock Saints I & II, has only directed and written those two movies. The films are the high-points of the careers of many of the actors in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment