Welcome! I'm MovieKnight

Movies are my passion. Movies are my life. If you can't talk about movies, I can't talk to you.
I don't have a "5 Stars" or "two thumbs up" rating system of my own. I rarely see a rating I agree with, and I'm not about to make the same mistake myself.
I do my best to make this blog interesting, useful, and informative.

Friday, December 25, 2009

Sherlock Holmes (December 25, 2009) PG-13

Starring:
Robert Downey Jr. (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 2005, Iron Man 2 2010)
Jude Law (Enemy at the Gates 2001, Repo Men 2010)
Rachel McAdams (The Notebook 2004, Morning Glory 2010)
Mark Strong (Stardust 2007, Robin Hood 2010)
Eddie Marsan (Hancock 2008, London Boulevard 2010)

I always wondered if Dr. House could solve crimes---now I know he can.

Although Sherlock Holmes was a very entertaining movie, I kept waiting for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's famous character (Sherlock Holmes) to appear. Alas, I do not believe he did, and my mother, who's read Doyle's books, agrees. She also pointed out that the Holmes she grew up reading about didn't have aspergers or any symptoms of it, genius aside.
I do not believe that Downey invented the character he so excellently portrayed, and so I do not believe it's Downey's fault that the character was so off the mark of the "real" Sherlock Holmes.
The creators of this Sherlock Holmes movie captured Holmes's genius accurately enough, but it was his character (or lack thereof) portrayed in this film, and his apparent James Bondish abilities that narrowed my brow several times.

Honestly, they could have just given the detective a different name and the film would have been, perhaps, even more enjoyable. But then it wouldn't be as marketable.....

My goodness, I've cracked the case!

Factoid: Lionel Wigram wrote graphic novels about Sherlock Holmes, based off Doyle's famous detective mysteries. This film was based off of one of Wigram's novels.
Also, Downey Jr. and director Guy Ritchie both feel that their Sherlock Holmes is an accurate adaption to Doyle's books...hmmm...the case reopened!

1 comment:

  1. Son, I never read any of the books (Jewely did), I just watched the old movies and the PBS Masterpiece Theater adaptations, my favorites. I watched the old black&white 1930s movies with Basil Rathbone when I was a kid bringing Holmes into the automobile age. Interesting concept. Watson was an old guy. I think Watson was an old guy in the PBS versions, too.
    I now want to read some books because, as you said Downey, Jr. said, it was a good adaptation. I'd like to judge for myself.
    But thanks for thinking of me! It was fun watching it with you.

    ReplyDelete