Welcome! I'm MovieKnight

Movies are my passion. Movies are my life. If you can't talk about movies, I can't talk to you.
I don't have a "5 Stars" or "two thumbs up" rating system of my own. I rarely see a rating I agree with, and I'm not about to make the same mistake myself.
I do my best to make this blog interesting, useful, and informative.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Mutant Chronicles (August 7, 2008) R

Starring:
Thomas Jane (Punisher 2004, Run 2010)
Ron Perlman (Hellboy 2004, Season of the Witch 2010)
Devon Aoki (Sin City 2005, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Undead 2010)
John Malkovich (Rounders 1998, Spiderman 4 2011)

With such a winning cast to legitimize the film, I thought that the cheesey-looking trailer would turn out to be deceiving, and that Mutant Chronicles was going to end up being a good movie.
I was wrong.
Mutant Chronicles was a terrible movie, poorly imagined, and terribly executed. The acting was good enough to full cameras, but not a live audience.

What the film does accomplish is creating a dismal, sad, depressing-looking future where private enterprises hire private militaries to help them monopolize the world. The depressing and never-ending war finally accidentally cracks open a hole in the ground that millions of mutants come out of. Apparently the mutants had been hanging out their whole lives waiting for this one spot to open up.
The mutants have blade arms, so they neutralize the superior technology of the millions of heavily-armed soldiers. Huh?

Ron Perlman ends up being humanity's only hope, as it was his religion to see all this coming, and he knows how to stop it. So he and his fellowship of heavily-armed, heavily-attituded soldiers embark on a ridiculous journey to save an already-dead world from already-dead mutants.

What a crap movie. The ending though, the VERY END, was great. I laughed hard for a while, though I doubt that's what the writers intended.

Factoid: The title, "Mutant Chronicles" deterred Ron Perlman from reading the script that was handed him when he was offered his role. However, out of boredom, he read the script and loved it, believing it to be a "smart" script, well imagined. Go to www.iesb.net for the complete interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment