Welcome! I'm MovieKnight

Movies are my passion. Movies are my life. If you can't talk about movies, I can't talk to you.
I don't have a "5 Stars" or "two thumbs up" rating system of my own. I rarely see a rating I agree with, and I'm not about to make the same mistake myself.
I do my best to make this blog interesting, useful, and informative.

Monday, July 5, 2010

The Last Airbender (July 1, 2010) PG-13

Starring:
Noah Ringer (Cowboys and Aliens 2011)
Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire 2008)
Nicola Peltz (Deck the Halls 2006, Unbound Captives 2011)
Jackson Rathbone (Twilight 2008, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 2011)
Sychelle Gabriel (The Spirit 2008, Falling Skies 2010)

It's like this movie exists only for its own sake. I walked out of the theater with a feeling of "so what?" I'm sure if I was a fan of the anime TV show "Avatar: The Last Airbender", I'd be singing a different tune. But I shouldn't have to watch the show to enjoy the movie. This isn't Twilight.

The special effects were nothing to look away from, don't get me wrong, but the story and feel of the overall movie was nothing new.

I was especially disappointed that this movie was directed by M. Night Shyamalan. I expected this to be one of the best movies this year simply because Night Wrote, Directed, and Produced it. It was not one of the best movies; not by a long-shot.

I made the mistake of watching this movie in 3-D also. All that did was screw up my peripheral view, and made the movie less enjoyable. There's no need to see this movie in 3-D. I think the 3-D thing was an after-thought...

Factoid: Me and Sychelle Gabriel share the same birthday, but not the same birth year.
Factoid: The casting of this film (in Philly) was met with severe criticism from fans who believed white actors should not be playing the traditionally Asian characters.
Factoid: This film's production budget was $150 million, and had a marketing budget of $130 million.

No comments:

Post a Comment