Welcome! I'm MovieKnight

Movies are my passion. Movies are my life. If you can't talk about movies, I can't talk to you.
I don't have a "5 Stars" or "two thumbs up" rating system of my own. I rarely see a rating I agree with, and I'm not about to make the same mistake myself.
I do my best to make this blog interesting, useful, and informative.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Book of Eli (January 15, 2010) R

Starring:
Denzel Washington (Man on Fire 2004, Unstoppable 2010)
Gary Oldman (The Dark Knight 2008, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II 2011)
Mila Kunis (Max Payne 2008, Black Swan 2010)
Ray Stevenson (Punisher: War Zone 2008, Thor 2011)
Jennifer Beals (Runaway Jury 2003, "Lie to Me" 2009)
Michael Gambon (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 2005, Ivan the Fool 2012)

If not for the incredible acting on the parts of the entire cast, The Book of Eli would have not been worth watching.

Truly, Eli is not your typical hero, and Carnegie (Oldman) isn't your typical villian. Both are obsessed with this book, and both will kill anyone to keep/get it.

What the movie failed to do was elaborate on the post-apocolyptic world the characters live in. It was pretty bad, but it all seemed a little too Mad Max-ish for me. I didn't see much there I hadn't seen before.

What stood out most in the film (besides the numerous, distracting product-placements?) was how beautiful Mila Kunis was. Everyone in the film had cracked lips, dirty faces, ratty clothes, and had a generally post-apocolyptic look to them. Ms. Kunis, however, seemed to have hired a professional make-up artist... did she pay her with canteens of water?

The film started cool, though somewhat irrelevantly, and ended on a corny, overly dramatic note. I liked it, but I was very disappointed. Worst part is I'll bet the film-makers think they're clever.

Factoid: The distance from New York City to Los Angeles is ~2,800 miles. Walking around 10 miles a day it would take less than a year to get from the east coast to the west coast. In the film, Eli claims to have been heading west for the last 30 years... That's enough time to have walked the circumference of Earth (25,000 miles) roughly four or five times. How many times did Eli cross the same spot?

No comments:

Post a Comment