Welcome! I'm MovieKnight

Movies are my passion. Movies are my life. If you can't talk about movies, I can't talk to you.
I don't have a "5 Stars" or "two thumbs up" rating system of my own. I rarely see a rating I agree with, and I'm not about to make the same mistake myself.
I do my best to make this blog interesting, useful, and informative.

Monday, January 20, 2014

Her (January 10, 2014) R

Starring:
Joaquin Phoenix (Gladiator, Two Lovers, Signs)
Scarlett Johansson (Scoop, The Avengers, Hitchcock)
Amy Adams (Enchanted, Julie & Julia, Man of Steel)
Rooney Mara (The Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)

Awkward... but Oscar-worthy!

I tell ya, there were some scenes in this movie that actually had me feeling as uncomfortable as the characters...
Amy Adams (Amy) with Joaquin Phoenix (Theodore)
(Photo taken from macguff.in)

Her is about a man named Theodore (Phoenix) who gets a new, advanced, AI-powered OS (Operating System) self-named "Samantha" that is synced to his phone and home computer system.  The AI is a female voiced by Johannson who develops feelings for Theodore and vice versa...

This movie would simply be "eHarmony meets Skynet," but it was so beautifully  put together that I don't want to label it so cynically.  I laughed, I cried, and I felt what the characters were feeling frequently.

And I must point out the magnificent directing by Spike Jonze.  He's not a widely known director, but he's got a lot of Oscar buzz going on from Her.

I'd like to watch this movie a second time, actually, to see some of the things that I maybe missed because the AI was just so interesting and the whole movie was so well written.
Theodore out for a walk with Samantha enjoying
the view from his shirt pocket and bluetooth
(Photo taken from indiewire.com)

Date movie?  Yes, and you'll be talking about this movie for hours afterwards.

Factoid: Scarlett Johannson was not present for the filming of Her.  The entire movie was filmed and editing began when director Spike Jonze decided to recast the role, giving it to Johanson.  The original voice of Samantha was actress Samantha Morton.  Morton gave her blessing to Jonze before the recasting occured.

No comments:

Post a Comment