Welcome! I'm MovieKnight

Movies are my passion. Movies are my life. If you can't talk about movies, I can't talk to you.
I don't have a "5 Stars" or "two thumbs up" rating system of my own. I rarely see a rating I agree with, and I'm not about to make the same mistake myself.
I do my best to make this blog interesting, useful, and informative.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Shutter Island (February 19, 2010) R

Starring:
Leonardo DiCaprio (The Departed 2006, Inception 2010)
Mark Ruffalo (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 2004, Margaret 2010)
Ben Kingsley (War, Inc. 2008, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time 2010)
Michelle Williams (I'm Not There 2007, Meek's Cutoff 2010)
Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen 2009, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2010)

This movie followed District 9 right onto my unofficial Top 10 List.

I thought I'd already seen all of Leo's tricks, the best he had to offer, after seeing The Departed, Blood Diamond, and Basketball Diaries, but he still impresses and shows me things I've never seen before. He was fantastic.

The story, also, was so great it would have been enormously successful even without Leo, but the combination of a totally unique story, Scorsese's directing, and Leo made for an totally successful, original, bar-raising thriller/drama.

The music deserves recognition as well, as it was very uniquely utilized. The music road shotgun for a number of scenes, and was different and contributed much to the moods and intensities.

And, of course, the exchange between Leo and Jackie Earle Haley totally rocked my world and broke my heart. It was amazing to see Haley go from Rorschach (emotionally unbreakable and borderline murderous) to George Noyce (meek but apparently still murderous). His performance in Shutter Island is one of the best movie moments (however short) I've ever seen.

Factoid: Leo himself admits that sometimes he'd be filming a scene and wasn't sure if it was a dream sequence or "reality" in the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment